Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Gwanak climb


Last week we had Chuseok holiday, Korean thanksgiving. (Hence why I haven't posted in ages). Wednesday, we took the nuriro to Seoul, took a subway somewhere else, then walked a while up hilly streets until they told me we were at the trail. I was clueless. We were climbing Gwanaksan! It was my first Korean hike, one I did not take very seriously to begin with. You should've seen what the Korean "hikers" were wearing - it looked like they were about to ascend Everest in long nylon pants, strappy backpacks, walking poles, and visors. I, on the other hand, was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes. Got some kimbap for the climb and we were off! The first part of the climb is through the woods up many, many, many, MANY stairs. And the second was  along the ridge with a spectacular view of Seoul. 






And thennnnn there was a medical evacuation via helicopter. This is how close we were. I probably still have sand embedded into my skin. Helicopters are tough!


But man oh man, just LOOK at that view. I died a little, okay a lot. The view was that good, but I also died because it was a long climb.


Climbed through some rocks, traversed some rock faces, had to pull myself up the side of the mountain via a rope. No big deal (it was awesome). There were times I could've fallen off the side of the mountain, the mountain I didn't take seriously in the beginning.


And at the end, after you've reached the top, the Korean men there have cheered you up the last rock face, they've given you high-fives, and you start going down the other side... you come to this beautiful temple filled with lots and lots of hikers. Some who were lame and came up the back way, and some who were awesome (or crazy) like us and came up the front. There was a lot of cold water and a lot of ice cream.


On the train home, this little girl came up to me, sat down, and said "hey." I was a little taken aback to be addressed and in English at that! But she was charming, and she was fluent, and she had quite the spunky attitude. And we taught her to say "mind blown."


The mountain that I didn't take seriously took me out for days and my calves still hate me. But it took five hours to climb that beast, and the Koreans at the top were proud of me. 

Don't take anything for granted, and definitely don't underestimate climbing a mountain. You'll feel silly at the top. Thank you God for views that leave you speechless... 
and helicopters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment