Sunday, September 15, 2013

Weekends on the hill

Friday nights are generally spent at the bottom of the hill (or BOTH) in community with the other foreigners. It's fun to get to know people here. On the way home from school, I spotted a "matching couple," which is strangely common. When in a relationship, some couples find it necessary to wear male and female versions of the exact same outfit down to the underwear and phone cases... I still don't get it. There are even matching pajama sets.


Saturday was stormy, so I spent most of it in bed doing "productive" things. But Saturday night I went to my first noraebang, which is like private karaoke. It's just you and your friends in a small room with a couple microphones and way too many songs to choose from. Three hours and 39 songs later, I  determined my future go-to song is "Total eclipse of the heart" - a classic. 


I got to Skype the parents last night for a few hours (the stolen internet works wonders!) And it was so good to see their faces and hear their voices. Even Tumbleweed joined the party. I miss them.

This morning I went to my first Korean church service. I didn't understand the sermon, but they gave foreigners headphones that were connected to a translator. It was a good message, something that applied to me now (albeit a little hard to understand). For the most part the songs were songs I'd heard before but in Korean so I could still song along. But there were times when I would just close my eyes and listen. It is a special experience and a blessing to worship the same God in different languages. 
Our God is an awesome God.  


For the special song, these three boys sang beautifully. I thought it was funny that everyone got out their phones and cameras to record them, so I had to document it. They were basically our own cute boy band. 

Silly and great and memorable things happened this weekend.
Oh, and Michigan won again. Go blue!

All Thy Fullness is on repeat this evening. He is my fullness, firm and steady.

No comments:

Post a Comment