Sunday, March 9, 2014

birthdays abroad

I honestly wasn't expecting much out of this birthday, it being my first birthday away from friends and family who celebrate my birth month with me. But I felt so, so loved by everyone there and here. More loved than I've ever felt at home because the love I felt crossed so much ground. It traveled far, and gained momentum. It was a great, great love you all shared with me. 

Before my birth week - received a large package from home full of popcorn, gifts for Nim, and little gifts for me to unwrap. The Michigan coffee caramel popcorn was my favoriteeee. Thanks, Mom! (Nim loves his gifts, too). 

The night before - went over to S and T's to celebrate my youth with cider and a puzzle. 

The day of - began an iced latte, and with cake and party hats with my co-teachers. They sang Happy Birthday to me in both English and Korean. It got even better when we didn't have classes because it was the first day of school (lucky us!). After school, Julie and I went to my first cat cafe and drank mango smoothies and played with kittens. Then I went home and for dinner, went over to S and T's where they were making me dinner. I walked into a trap. Seven people were there to surprise me! They played kazoos, and sang, and we ate dinner, and had chips and salsa, and ended with wine and brownies. (I was actually kind of scared when the kazoos started blaring from the back bedroom). I had no idea. You all did so well and I didn't suspect a thing. I got socks, wine glasses, and flowers - and I was a very, very happy girl. Thank you - co-t's, Julie, Staci, Tyson, Landi, Briggitta, Will, Amanda, and those too numerous to name, for making me feel so special. 

Amidst all of this - the messages I received were incredible. Through texts, Instagram shout outs, Facebook, emails, and cards, I was so moved by your thoughts and outpouring of love from all over the globe. I was so overwhelmed and grateful, and I still thank God for everything I felt that day. It was the best first birthday abroad I could have asked for. I am so, so lucky. 


My cup overflows.



1 comment: