Friday, November 22, 2013

Thank `1q (Nim chose the title)


Thankful

Lately, I've really been trying to notice the little things I'm grateful for that might normally slip my mind. The flannel sheets Mom sent are a God-send. Nimbus and I cozy up in them every night and they  are wonderful. Nim likes to snuggle up under the covers (because I haven't turned the heat on yet), but I think he likes cuddling too (when he's not biting me). 

Pleasant bus drivers are a day-changer. This week Tuesday on the way to school and from school we had the awesome bus driver who greets every single one of his passengers. And he says goodbye. He is so joyful. Seeing his joy makes me want to be that way. Even when you do the same thing every day all day, you can still be joyful and it's infectious. Reminder: kindness is always free. 

And through these thoughts, I started thinking about why I needed to get away from Michigan. Michigan held everything I loved: dear ones, fall, Lake Michigan, Tumbleweed, family, everything. Leaving was about defining myself away from things that I had previously been defined by my entire life. I had to start with a clean slate here, no one knew me, no one knew what Michigan was like (although I talk about it enough), or how my friends and I were. I had to think a lot about what was going to define me to these people I was meeting for the first time. Ever. But being so far away and so alone, I realized (and am still realizing) just how much my identity is found completely in God. 

It is He who defines me and my every action. It is because of Him I am able to go about my day with a cheerful and grateful and joyful heart (kind of like the bus driver). 

No comments:

Post a Comment